Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Wiring Harness Modification

Now it was time to connect this stuff up to the radio. I carefully checked the radio's pin-out, which is on a sticker on top (check out those coffee stains!).



After getting set so I wouldn't solder anything to my steering wheel . . .  I prepared to cut back the cover on that wire bundle. The switch's wires get connected between "TEL MUTE" and "GND"--you don't want to disconnect these (especially the radio's ground!) so I carefully removed just some insulation from the two wires. Then I cut the "CD GND" and "CD IN" for both the left and right channels. We're going to connect our audio cable to the wires going into the radio, so I stripped those ones. You can see all of these wires in this picture, but you may need to look carefully to see the bare spots on the "TEL MUTE" and "GND" wires (brown and black).



Then it was just time to slip on some heat shrink tubing, solder everything together, electrical tape where you couldn't heat shrink, and you should get something like in the picture below. Yes, the connections to the switch do look hokey.

No comments:

Post a Comment